
I picked up this book because I am unashamedly an animal lover. Even more so, I am a devoted dog lady. Dogs are my thing. And after my dog passed away a few months ago, I needed some encouragement - and a biblical view of how God looks upon all of His creation.
That's exactly what I received. I put off reading this book because I was afraid there would be many tears, but it was quite the opposite. I laughed as Robison retold stories of his beloved Princess, remembering instances when my pets have done similar things.
I am truly blown away by Robison's wisdom. To look upon the lowliest creatures on this earth and learn more about God's character and heart - it's remarkable. This book reads like a devotion, so you can easily do one chapter a day for 28 days. Each lesson / chapter spoke to my heart, and not just because I love animals but because I love the Lord and I want to grow in my knowledge of Him.
Here is one particular passage that struck me (in a good way). It is about God's endless and relentless pursuit of His children:
Every day when I awaken, I want to run as fast as Princess does to jump into God's lap, look into His eyes, and stay close to His heart. This brings our heavenly Father great pleasure and gives me indescribable comfort, peace, and security. As Princess lies with her paws resting on my chest, her long ears perk up, and she waits for me to speak to her. I know she can't understand my words, but I believe she senses the love I have for her. I do know that when I speak these loving words, she listens. I also know that when we learn to hear the Lord, He will speak words of encouragement and affection to us. (11)
So as you book lovers put together your book lists for 2013, make sure this one goes on your list. It is certainly a must-read!
You can read the first chapter for FREE here!
Here's a quick disclaimer: every thought & opinion posted here is my own. I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
3 comments:
Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for your thoughts and the review.
BTW-I have 6 giveaways going on at my site if you want to pop over. Hope you have a lovely weekend!
Diane :O)
www.dianeestrella.com
Ahh I have been wanting to read this, too, so I am so stoked that there is a free chapter :) Excellent news!
I love that quote you put in from the book. I have a moment this afternoon and wanted to go back and read through all your posts, and comment on as many of them as I can, but I'm going to get slowed down because of good things like this!
Do I run... am I eager... am I happy to just 'be' with God? Good, challenging questions to be asking me right now!
Post a Comment